24 June 2017

Dinghy Rehab

Launch Day Approaches....

Last year I had some issues with the inflatable dinghy.  One problem was very heavy barnacle growth on the sides of the bottom.  I had applied anti-fouling paint, but only to the middle part of the dinghy bottom.  Rookie mistake -- especially if you don't pull the dinghy from the water at least once a week or two to scrape and clean the bottom.

Remains of barnacle growth on the dinghy bottom....


In June, we finally got a sunny day and I chiseled off the dinghy bottom the dead, dried barnacles from last year using a plastic snow scrapper.  Then I scrubbed the bottom using boat soap and a rigid bristle brush, before power-washing the dinghy inside and out.  Finally, I applied a new coat of special anti-fouling paint for inflatables to the entire bottom and partly up the sides to the waterline.

Looking good....

Last year I also had some trouble with a mysterious vandal who damaged the dinghy, breaking  several of the floor boards and puncturing the rubber skin.  Patching the hole was easy, but replacing the floor boards proved more challenging than I expected.

Remains of the broken floor slats.... 

I made calls to five or six shops, from Fairhaven to Newport, but no one carried replacement floor boards for this (older model) dinghy.  Fortunately, I eventually procured a replacement set (of six boards) from Defender Marine -- only $99.  Meanwhile, a BOLO has been issued to the neighborhood watch in the hopes of deterring such nefarious vandalism in the future.  Geez, some people.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and suggestions....